Saturday, August 30, 2008

No, we're not crazy, but...

...we did go camping and hiking with three moms and three babies! Last week, Leslie, Emaline, Wesley and I went up to Orford, NH to visit our old Walnut Hill friends Corin, Jared, Oliver, Ketzel and Tom. This was our last adventure for the summer. What a great last act!

As folks with backpacking experience, Leslie and I were a little surprised how much stuff we "needed"to take with us! While plenty of people thought we were crazy, and told us so, Leslie and I were mostly worried about the three-hour drive. Fortunately, they both slept almost the whole way there and back! Phew!
Wesley, who's checking out Emaline, who's checking out her new home.
Wesley in our home for a few nights.
We were grateful that Corin invited us to her house for dinner the first night, and it was great to meet Oliver, who's about two months old. It was also great to see Corin; I've really missed her! We lived in Clark together for two years and I really got used to having her around all of the time.

Wesley was very excited about the new book from Corin, Jared and Oliver. It's a new beach book and I think I've already read it no less than 100 times--no joke.
Wes and I harvested cherry tomatoes from the garden for our salad--yum!
Wesley, giving Oliver some love.

A delicious dinner!
It was also great to see Ketzel, the other member of the Benedict family. She might be one of my favorite dogs ever.
Nighty-night kiddos! See you tomorrow!
Little did we know that it would get SO COLD during the night (40 degrees, also not a joke), but we snuggled under our sleeping bag and blanket and were plenty toasy warm. We read many books before venturing out of the tent.

The first outfit I tried on Wes to keep him warm didn't work the second he stepped, and then rolled, in the wet grass.
But, the next outfit, with about 6 layers, many from our friends Sandi, Fred and Gavin, worked great!
We took a little walk down to the brook and admired the scenery.

Wes, of course, couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw many rocks into the river.
Shhh! Don't tell anyone we broke the rules to get these delicious blackberries!

Later that morning Corin and Oliver arrived for our grand adventure.

We hiked up Gile Mountain in Norwich, VT.

Do we look like an ad for baby carriers or what? People did triple takes and made many comments about the "mom and baby hike."
The littlest hikers: Wesley (16 months),
Emaline (3 months),
and Oliver (2 months).
Back at the campsite, Emy enjoyed some tummy time and Wes enjoyed some ball time.
Kisses for Emy!
Wes was not agreeable to going to sleep in the tent without Mom the second night (I think he knew the fun he'd be missing), so he watched the fire and ate quesadillas with us. Once I got over my frustration at not being able to get him to sleep, it was some lovely quality time with him!

We were grateful our second night was not so cold, but we still needed to wear many layers the next morning. We had decided that this would be our "car-free" day to explore the campground and its surroundings a bit more, and this is Emy, enjoying her breakfast.
Wes was also very excited that Emy liked his ball,
until he decided he'd like it back :).
When Leslie and I needed a break from watching the little man every second, we put him in his chair, where he enjoyed serenading us with some lovely music.
Doesn't Emy look cute in her tie-dye?
Wesley helped me brush my teeth.
He also helped the campground owners feed the goldfish and the frogs.
Down by the river...

Wesley enjoying his plum.
Emy enjoying some naked tummy time with her Mommy.
Wes, napping beneath the bug netting.
Hey! She's got that weird blanket over her too!
We decided to go for a swim in the river, but after wading to our island to chill out, we realized exactly how cold the water was!

Leslie, braving the cold.
Wesley and I admiring the flowing water. I only got his feet wet because it was much too cold for him!
Yahooo! Daddy's here and it's his birthday! Too bad Wesley wouldn't agree to a cute Dad and son picture--he only wanted DOWN to throw more rocks!

After the chilly brook water, we warmed up at the pool.

Hey--it's the birthday guy!
Wesley helped Daddy set up his tent,
and helped Leslie make a fire.
Then Tom came to join the party!
Wesley was very cute trying to convince the bunny to come play with him!
Happy Birthday Daddy!

A special giftPhil's birthday crew (minus Emy, who fell asleep due to all of the excitement).

Our last morning in nature
Good Morning!
Ketzel came to visit the next day to join us on our pre-drive walk. Corin's comment: "the only one I've met who loves a ball more than Wesley is Ketzel."



The kids :), can you imagine what they'll look like a year from now?
We did make one stop on our way home at Tom's house. He and his husband have already built a beautiful timberframe home, and they're in the process of building a second, larger, adjoining one. If you're interested in more information, here's their blog http://timberledge.blogspot.com/.
Here's Emy getting her diaper changed on the last of the timbers to be sealed with polyurethane.
The interior of the "old" house. Aren't the timbers beautiful?
Emy and Tom showing off the exterior of the "old" house.
Wes and Tom on the foundation of the new house.
It was great to see you Tom!
So, while some may think we're crazy for tent camping with children, we really had a great time and I can't wait to do it again soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home